Sunday, May 24, 2015

Happy Birthday, Hunter!

Dearest Hunter,
You turned 8 last month. I look at your feet and wonder when they got so big. Your smile is full of adult-sized teeth and when you shared what you wrote in your journal that night, I knew your were growing up.

There are 5 million reasons why I love you. Remember the other week when I emerged from the bathroom with toilet paper in my hair? I was experimenting with rag curls, but in lieu of rags I used toilet paper. You looked at me, trying not to laugh, 

“Mom, what is in your hair?”

“Toilet paper” I said, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Do people do that?”

“Well, I’m a person and I do it.”

“Oh.” You paused with a thoughtful look in your eye, somewhat conflicted.

“Well, you sort of look like a flower.” You offered this with a tentative smile, and I laughed.

This conversation typifies your generous heart and an empathetic spirit. Your capacity for kindness always amazes me.
I love how your mind works. You need to understand why something works and why things are the way they are. You are not satisfied with pat answers, you like to dig deeper.

“Why am I me and not someone else?”

“If Adam sinned, then why do I get the consequences?”

You love lego and minecraft, and goofy skits in the park with your brothers. You love school and your cousins, and kale chips and dark chocolate...and really anything with sugar in it.
I loved this Mother’s Day Card you gave me this year. On the left is you and me watching Masterchef Junior which inspired you to make a delicious vinaigrette for dinner--carefully tasting as you went. On the right is a note that made me laugh. It’s so sweet and honest!
Your Daddy and I love you so much! You are truly a blessing from the Lord.







No comments:

Post a Comment